The ultimate Kenyan staple food by Acholastreats
Ugali, kale and beef or eggs are considered Kenya’s most popular staple food. The meal is easy to make and takes less than twenty minutes to prepare for a meal that can serve a family of five. It’s often served during dinner but can also be taken at lunchtime. Here is a quick recipe on how to make this meal:
- Maize flour 1 cup
- Water 2 cups
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium pot.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and slowly add the maize flour to the boiling water.
- Stirring with a wooden spoon(mwiko). The ugali will begin to thicken quite quickly.
- Continue cooking on low/medium heat, stirring every minute, until the ugali starts to pull away from the sides of the pan and hold together and take on roasted corn’s aroma.
- Turn it out immediately onto a serving plate. Turn off the heat.
- If you like, using the mwiko, quickly shape it into a round “cake”.
- Use a knife to cut into desired shapes and sizes.
- Serve with skuma wiki and beef Stew (or eggs for a vegan option).
Kenyan beef stew Ingredients :
Beef chuck in bone(cut into cubes) 800g
Onions red(diced) 1 large
Quarter cup of tap water
Ripe red Tomatoes(diced) 2 large
Salt 1 teaspoon
Red/green chili (optional)
30ml neutral cooking oil
- Over medium heat, place your cut beef and diced onions and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Add a quarter cup of water and cover the pan until the water is finished.
- Add cooking oil and stir until the meat browns. You can add your red chill or green chilli at this point.
- Add diced tomatoes and stir until the tomatoes are well cooked, add 80ml water and
- simmer until the oil separates and you get a very thick gravy.
- Turn off the heat.
- Serve in a bowl with ugali and skuma wiki (kale)
- Ingredients :
- Bunch of Skuma Wiki( collard green/kales)
- 1 medium red onion (diced)
- 30ml neutral cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Shred the skuma wiki into thin shreds
- Heat oil in medium sauce pan over medium heat
- Add diced onions in oil and cook until brown
- Add shredded skuma wiki and salt
- Stirr and sautée over the medium for 1 minute
- Turn off heat
Serve with ugali and beef stew.
Leave a Reply ·
You must be logged in to post a comment.